Dipolydora palp characters

Sara Lindsay slindsay at maine.edu
Tue Apr 10 16:46:02 EST 2001

Katrine,

Thanks for the correction. I am interested by the "new palp characters"
found on the Dipolydora species: randomly scattered motile cirri and
glandular holes.  I wonder if we are looking at the same thing? I have been
investigating such structures in spionids from Maine, USA, notably
Polydora quadrilobata (which I assume I should now be calling Dipolydora -
- sorry), Polydora cornuta, and Streblospio benedictii.  In D. quadrilobata,
these structures are tufts of cilia that may be evertible; they occur on the
abfrontal surface of the palps and on the prostomium as well. TEM reveals
characteristics reminiscient of other invertebrate chemoreceptors: short
ciliary rootlets and an abundance of apical mitochondria. Tim Riordan in
my lab is currently conducting antibody labeling experiments to determine if
these structures are stimulated by behaviorally relevant odors.  As for the
glandular holes, TEM shows gland cells of at least two different types (i.e.
with different types of secretions). The structures on the prostomium of D.
quadrilobata seem to be the same as those on the palps. I've suggested
these structures may be chemosensory; Tim's work will help confirm that or
not.

Has anyone else observed similar structures on other species?

Wormly,
Sara Lindsay

Sara Lindsay
Assistant Research Professor
School of Marine Sciences, 5751 Murray Hall
University of Maine, Orono ME 04469-5715
tel. 207-581-2739       fax. 207-581-2537

visit our website at: http://www.ume.maine.edu/~marine/index.html