Molecular phylogeny

Barrie Jamieson bjamieson at
Thu Jan 4 19:29:43 EST 2001

Dear Annelidans,

We seem to be getting somewhere with annelid phylogeny as in addition to
the McHugh paper that Geoff mentions, I also published, in my monograph,
nuclear 28SrDNA and mtDNA (12S and 16S) evidence of sister-group
relationship of branchiobdellids and leeches and their inclusion in the
Oligochaeta as the sister group of the Lumbriculidae (as Michaelsen told us
long ago!), thus suggesting that oligochaetes are paraphyletic. (There is
just a possibility that the leech-branchiobdellid clade is due to long branch
attraction). This was published in my CD Monograph 'Native earthworms of
Australia (Megascolecidae, Megascolecinae)' based on work in
collaboration with  several other workers (including Sam James). Andrew
Hugall and I have just been putting final touches to the paper and it will be a
pleasure to cite the Damhnait McHugh work.
Please see my website, below, or, for information on the
oligochaete monograph.

Emeritus Professor B.G.M. Jamieson
Department of Zoology and Entomology
University of Queensland
Brisbane 4072
Phone: +61 7 3365 2683
Fax: +61 7 3365 1655
email bjamieson at
Non-University email: BGMJamieson at or barriejamieson at

Recent Publications:

Native earthworms of Australia (Megascolecidae, Megascolecinae). A CD ROM

Reproductive Biology of Invertebrates:

Insects: Their spermatozoa and phylogeny: (type 'Jamieson')

Published works (Homepage):