Macrofauna separation technologies

Les Watling watling at
Thu Jul 26 16:39:07 EST 2001

As most or all users of this list are undoubtedly aware, chemicals such as
Ludox have been used for years to separate meiofauna from marine and
estuarine sediments.  In fact, I found a dozen or so references wherein
Ludox was used to extract nematodes and small crustaceans from forest
soils.  I would like to know whether anyone has used Ludox or similar
silicate sols to extract larger, i.e., small macrofauna-sized, worms from
sands and gravel.  In an early version of Holme and McIntyre's book on
methods for the study of marine benthos there is also a reference to the
use of trichloroethylene.  Has anyone tried that or similar compounds?
Ideas on this subject would be greatly appreciated.  I have a small project
where we will be sampling with a grab sampler in sand and gravelly sand

Les Watling
Professor of Oceanography and
Pew Fellow in Marine Conservation
Darling Marine Center