DNA fixation

Barrie Jamieson bjamieson at zoology.uq.edu.au
Mon Jun 4 18:25:39 EST 2001

Dear Annelidans,

nuclear and mtDNA for some years and I find that 80% ethanol gives good
results and surprisingly good preservation of the specimen provided the
volume/specimen ratio is high (preferably with a change after 15 min to 1
h). My comments would probably not apply, however, if one wanted good
histological fixation.

I understand, too, that ethanol is a poor 'fixative' for polychaetes - but
perhaps OK at the higher concentration and volume ratio?

I have no idea of the utility of Neo-fix for DNA. If it contains aldehydes it
would, of course, be inappropriate but it is said to be alcohol based.

Regards, Barrie Jamieson

Emeritus Professor B.G.M. Jamieson
Department of Zoology and Entomology
University of Queensland
Brisbane 4072
Phone: +61 7 3365 2683
Fax: +61 7 3365 1655
email bjamieson at zoology.uq.edu.au
Non-University email: BGMJamieson at netscape.net

Recent Publications:

Native earthworms of Australia (Megascolecidae, Megascolecinae). A CD ROM

Reproductive Biology of Invertebrates:

Insects: Their spermatozoa and phylogeny:
Published works (Homepage):