A family's good name in jeopardy (homonymy)

JAMES BLAKE jablake at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jun 27 19:05:06 EST 2001

Torteif,

This problem has already been resolved by Pettibone (1989: Smithsonian
Contributions to Zoology, No. 464).  In my chapter on Acoetidae in Taxonomic
Atlas of the Santa Maria Basin.... Vol. 5...1995, I make the following
comment:

"The species of Acoetidae have been included in virtually every scale worm
family at one time or another. In most recent keys or monographs,
including Hartman (1968), species of this group have been included in the
Polyodontidae.  Pettibone (1989), however, points out that that the
Acoetidae Kinberg, 1856, based on Acoetides Audouin and Milne-
Edwards, 1832 has priority because the family name Polyodontidae
Augener, 1918, based on Polyodontes Renieri in Blainville, 1828, is
preoccupied in Fishes by Polyodontidae Bonaparte, 1837, that is based on
the genus Polyodon Schneider, 1801."

Jim Blake