Inner Mongolian desert polychaete

Petersen, Mary Elizabeth MEPetersen at zmuc.ku.dk
Sun Nov 11 15:35:14 EST 2001

Greetings!

Re Geoff's comments on Inner Mongolian desert polychaetes and Helmut's
note re Gerardia:

I still can't answer Geoff's question, but in case anyone is interested, the
genus name Armandia Filippi, 1861 (Opheliidae) was later used for a
butterfly of the family Papilionidae. The replacement name Bhutanitis
Atkinson, 1873 took care of the problem, but when searching for the
polychaete genus Armandia on Webspirs, which at most goes back to the
early 1970s, in the period 1993-1998 I found 7 instances of a polychaete
species of Armandia being classified by BIOSIS as a Lepidoptera! In 4 of
the references Armandia was clearly defined as a polychaete in the title or
abstract and in the other 3 there was an indication that the paper dealt with
marine invertebrates or marine sediments, not a likely category or habitat
for a butterfly, especially when the name had (in 1993) been replaced a
century ago!

In the same search, the author of a paper treating a species of Armandia
from Mactan Island, Cebu was claimed to have the following _address_:
"WESENBERG-LUND, E, 1949 DANISH SCI INVESTIGATIONS IN IRAN,
PART IV COPENHAGEN"

I'd like to see the post office deliver a reprint request there!

Mary

Tel +45-35 32 10 67 - Fax +45-35 32 10 10
E-mail: mepetersen at zmuc.ku.dk