Pea crabs symbiotic with polychaetes

Greg Farley farley at bio.fsu.edu
Wed Nov 28 20:22:48 EST 2001

[apologies for crossposts!]

Dear colleagues:

Hello!  By way of introduction, I am a graduate student at Florida State
University in Tallahassee.  My research revolves around the evolution and
ecology of commensalism, and I'm using pea crabs (Brachyura:
Pinnotheridae) as a model system. Several species of pea crabs are
annelid symbionts, and I write to you with the hope that you might be able
to help me collect pea crab specimens for gene sequencing and
phylogenetic analysis.

Several pea crab species in the genus Pinnixa are associated with
annelids, typically polychaetes.  Most live as inquiline residents of worm-
constructed burrows.  It is my hope that some of you will be familiar with
these crabs, even simply as "incidental" symbionts of the vermiferous taxa
with which you work.

If you would be willing to collect crabs, or know of someone who might,
please contact me.  I've included a complete list of "wanted" taxa below,
with hosts and species ranges where known.  I've included the genera
Dissodactylus, Clypeasterophilus, and Fabia as well, even though they are
bivalve or echinoderm symbionts; please feel free to distribute this list to
colleagues who work with other host taxa!

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!  Ideally, collected
specimens should be 'fixed' in 70-100% ethanol (formaldehyde makes
genetic work impossible).  I would be happy to reimburse you for the cost
of materials and shipping, and I would be more than willing to 'trade' local
molluscan specimens from the northern Gulf of Mexico.  Good advice -
particularly about other researchers who might be able to help me - would
also be most welcome!

With best regards,

Greg Farley
Department of Biological Science
Florida State University
Tallahassee, FL  32301
(850) 644-9840
farley at bio.fsu.edu

genus/species
          host organism
          range
Clypeasterophilus juvenilis
          ?
          Bahamas, Florida (Atlantic and Gulf), Yucatan peninsula
Clypeasterophilus rugatus
          ?
          Dominica, West Indies; Cuba, Florida
Clypeasterophilus ususfructus
          ?
          Gulf of CA to Ecuador

Dissodactylus borradailei
          fine white sand
          SE & SW Florida, Jamaica
Dissodactylus glasselli
          ECHINODERMS:  Mellita longifissa
          Chiapas, Mexico to El Salvador
Dissodactylus latus
          ?
          West Florida to Brazil
Dissodactylus lockingtoni
          ECHINODERMS:  Mellita longifissa; Encope emarginata, E. grandis,
E.
californica
          Gulf of CA, Sonora, Mexico
Dissodactylus nitidus
          ECHINODERMS:  E. grandis, E. californica
          Mexico to El Salvador
Dissodactylus primitivus
          ?
          Tortugas, Florida
Dissodactylus schmitti
          ?
          White Friars, Mexico
Dissodactylus xantusi
          ECHINODERMS:  Mellita longifissa, Encope spp.
          Gulf of CA to Panama

Fabia byssomiae
          BIVALVES:  Byssomia distorta, Saxicava distorta, S. arctica
          W. Florida, NW Cuba
Fabia canfieldi
          LIMPETS:  Lucapina crenulata
          Monterey, CA
Fabia carvachoi
          ?
          Gulf of California
Fabia concharum
          BIVALVES:  Pachydesma, Tapes, Pholas, Mya, Donax, Modiola
          Santa Monica to San Diego, CA
Fabia emiliai
          ?
          SW Atlantic, Brazil
Fabia felderi
          ?
          Florida
Fabia granti
          GASTROPODS: Crucibulum, Acmaea, Crepidula
          Gulf of California
Fabia malaguena
          ?
          Colombia
Fabia obtusidentata
          ?
          China
Fabia subquadrata
          BIVALVES:  Mytilus, Tapes, Mya, Modiolus, Cardita
          Alaska to San Diego
Fabia tellinae
          BIVALVES:  tellins
          NW Florida to Alabama

Pinnixa barnharti
          HOLOTHURIANS:  Liosoma, Molpadia arenicola, Caudina, Holothuria
          Puget Sound to Mexico
Pinnixa cylindrica
          Arenicola cristata
          MA to SC, W and NW Florida
Pinnixa eburna
          POLYCHAETES:  Arenicola pusilla, A. claparedii
          WA to British Columbia
Pinnixa faba
          BIVALVES:  Lutraria, Tresus, Schizothaerus, Cardium
          AK to Newport Bay, CA
Pinnixa franciscana
          SHRIMP:  Callianassa, Upogebia; also Urechis caupo, Amphitrite
San
          Francisco to Newport, CA
Pinnixa littoralis
          BIVALVES:  Mya, Saxidomus, Tapes
          AK to San Diego, CA
Pinnixa longipes
          POLYCHAETES:  Pectinaria, Pista, Clymarella, Urechis
          CA
Pinnixa rapax
          ?
          Argentina, Brazil
Pinnixa sayana
          free-living on sand, also occasionally with Arenicola
          MA to NC; W. Florida, Louisiana
Pinnixa schmitti
          BIVALVES:  Macoma secta, POLYCHAETES: Pista,
Amphitrite;SHRIMP:
Upogebia;also Echiura
          CA to Mazatlan, Mexico
Pinnixa tubicola
          POLYCHAETES:  Serpulidae, Amphitrite, Terebellidae
          AK to San Diego, CA
Pinnixa tumida
          HOLOTHURIANS:  (Para)Caudina chilensis
          China, Japan