Annelid locomotion request

Geoff Read at
Sat Oct 13 16:30:38 EST 2001

[ CC  to <sanjin_007 at> ]

> I am after detailed information on the analysis of the motion or
> locomotion geometrically and anatomically as well as the analysis of
> pivot points, muscle type, rigidity of structure, geometry of tissue and
> cells, skin texture and mambrane type, growth patterns and dimensions.

A starting point would be:

Invertebrate Structure and Function. 1967 (reprinted at least to 1974) by
E. J. W. Barrington. (Pub by Thomas Nelson.)

Trueman, E. R. 1975. The Locomotion of Soft-Bodied Animals. (Elsevier
Publishing Company)

Merz, R. A., & D. R. Edwards. 1998. Jointed setae - their role in locomotion
and gait transitions in polychaete worms. — Journal of Experimental Marine
Biology and Ecology 228:273-290.,

Wootton, R., J. 1999. Invertebrate paraxial locomotory appendages: Design,
deformation and control. — Journal of Experimental Biology 202:3333-

Geoff Read < at>

Discuss   = annelida at      = talk to all members
Server    = biosci-server at = un/subscribes