Bioturbation rates of Capitella

Geoff Read gread at
Thu Oct 25 04:59:44 EST 2001

> Can anyone please help me to locate information on bioturbation rates of
> Capitella, or other small deposit-feeding polychaetes?

If there was ultimately a further relevant publication by Salen-Picard it's
slipped my net.  No guarantees with these below, but worth a look see.

Holmer, M., V. E. Forbes, & T. L. Forbes. 1997. Impact of the polychaete
Capitella sp. I on microbial activity in an organic-rich marine sediment
contaminated with the polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon fluoranthene. —
Marine Biology 128:679-688.

Madsen, S. D., T. L. Forbes, & V. E. Forbes. 1997. Particle mixing by the
polychaete Capitella species 1: Coupling fate and effect of a particle-bound
organic contaminant (fluoranthene) in a marine sediment. — Marine Ecology
Progress Series 147:129-142.

Hansen, R., T. L. Forbes, & P. Westermann. 1999. Importance of bioturbation
and feeding by the polychaete Capitella sp I in the degradation of di(2-
ethylhexyl)phthalate (DEHP). — Marine Ecology   Progress Series 182:187-

   Geoff Read <gread at>

Discuss   = annelida at      = talk to all members
Server    = biosci-server at = un/subscribes