Fishing _for_ worms

Leslie Harris lhharris at rcf-fs.usc.edu
Thu Sep 6 15:40:13 EST 2001

The type specimen of Sphaerodorum sphaerulifer Moore 1909 was taken
from a deep-sea fishing line, although there is no information as to whether
it was on the hook, the bait, or the line itself.

I think glycerids are likely candidates to be bait-caught worms.   Long ago I
went snorkeling to collect abalone for dinner.  Swimming back to camp, I
noticed a large Glycera swimming after me.  It was after my bag of
bleeding abalones, to be precise.  When I moved the bag back & forth the
worm followed the bag's movements & would have burrowed into it if I
hadn't caught him first.

Leslie

<lhharris at rcf-fs.usc.edu>