Serpula reefs

N.D.Chapman at hw.ac.uk N.D.Chapman at hw.ac.uk
Tue Sep 18 06:33:31 EST 2001

Hi,

I am glad my article has created discussion and may increase interest in
these rare reefs.I agree with some of the commments that the term reef
can be over used.However in this case the polychaetes do form reefs as
defined by many definitions of the term reef. Reefs are not confined to
simply corals. They are carbonate - based organism  and form reefs up
to a couple of metres high and several metres long which may not be
clear in the picture.These reefs when mature 'collapse' but remain alive
and allows for further upward extension by new recruitment.They survive
for many years, presently we are measuring growth of the reef from
settlement but the more mature reefs are likely to be over 20 years old. In
addition,  the complex nature of these reefs provides a habitat for literally
, hundreds of different species. I'm still identifying species months down
the line all taxonomic volunteers welcome!!. However if anyone has any
further suggests i am interested to hear them.

Nicola Chapman (PhD candidate)

N.D.Chapman at hw.ac.uk

-- ANNELIDA
Discuss   = annelida at net.bio.net      = talk to all members