Floating worm eggs?

Bruno Pernet pernetb at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 7 22:34:37 EST 2002

Hello all,

I’m working on a comparative study of egg energy provisioning in
polychaetes, and am wondering about an esoteric but interesting topic that
some of you can undoubtedly help me with.  Do any of you know of
polychaetes that spawn positively buoyant eggs?  I know of only one
reference to floating polychaete eggs – those of the syllid Typosyllis
pulchra from the NE Pacific, described by Heacox (1980, Pacific Science
34:245-258).  Stolons of this species spawned at the surface in his
cultures, though, and it’s not clear to me that the eggs were actually
positively buoyant – maybe they were just stuck in the surface tension.  Do
other worms spawn positively buoyant eggs? I'd appreciate any insights.

Thanks much,
Bruno

Dr. Bruno Pernet
Friday Harbor Laboratories