Open online access Re: Giving reprints

Geoff Read g.read at niwa.cri.nz
Wed Feb 20 17:22:24 EST 2002

Sergio I. Salazar-Vallejo wrote:
> Because of limited subscriptions in most Mexican libraries, we have a
> chronic lack of connections with recent publications. [...]

When Sergio wrote that back in January I was going to comment along the
lines that we must all try to make our publications freely available on the
internet - it's called "self-archiving", and of course some list members have
done it already (a massive namanereid review comes to mind :-)). Recently
in news reports is the "Budapest Open Access Initiative" which aims to
support and help with this task.

Read about it at:

http://www.soton.ac.uk/~pubaffrs/02022.htm
http://www.publiclibraryofscience.org/