Web-based revisions

Geoff Read g.read at niwa.cri.nz
Thu Feb 21 16:15:09 EST 2002

Hi Annelidans,

Continuing my theme of the power of the web to help with publishing &
disseminating I re-post a note from Taxacom.

I particularly empathised with the comment in the article referred to below
where Godfray writes "After the “first web revision” was achieved
taxonomists would no longer have to bother with 19th century nomenclature
...". Fascinating though historical scholarship can be, let's face it that there
are more useful things we can be doing with our short time on earth. It's
holding us back frankly.

archive of journals rather than the open-access talked about in my previous
message. We also really need a FREE online archive of old rare
monographs and books.  I'd like to see it happen for out of print polychaete
books (I've got a few rarities myself) - maybe one day.

Cheers,