Open online access Re: Giving reprints

Geoff Read g.read at niwa.cri.nz
Thu Feb 21 19:26:04 EST 2002

Nancy wrote:
> Is copyright an issue with this?  It is my understanding that, as part of
> the publication process, we transfer copyright to the journal that
> publishes our work.  This would mean that photocopying a paper for
> distribution would be illegal, as would distributing electronic copies.

But of course. Online distribution requires pre-planning and negotiation
with the publisher (read the fine print on your favourite journal).  After all an
official PDF from the publisher is what people want.

I believe there is a trend to some loosening of this publisher stranglehold.
Then there are also preprints. Also publishers are going to have a hard
time tracking people who get hold of a PDF of their own published paper
and distribute it on demand by e-mail. That's almost the same as
photocopying & mailing which everyone does without thought. One could
also do a CD-Rom collected reprints to save on postage.  But putting a
copyright article on a web page without permission may not be a good idea
if you prefer to keep out of trouble.

> Perhaps journals should offer "electronic reprints."

They do. Just about anything is available - for a price.

--
  Geoff Read <g.read at niwa.cri.nz>
  http://www.annelida.net/