Open online access Re: Giving reprints

Chris.Glasby at nt.gov.au Chris.Glasby at nt.gov.au
Thu Feb 21 20:15:37 EST 2002

I fully agree with Geoff.

In the case of the namanereid papers that Geoff referred to (and helped
put on the Web!),  I undertook an agreement with the publisher (Australian
Museum Scientific Publications) allowing me to put the papers on the
Annelid Resouces Web site where they could be "copied and distributed in
the same manner that you would distribute reprints (i.e. free of charge)".
The Australian Museum retained copyright. The total cost for the electronic
papers (and 20 free paper copies), was less than half of what it would have
cost me for 100 reprints including postage. I would guess that many
publishers would enter into such an arrangement if asked (persuaded!).
Desktop publishing  practices these days make it very easy to run off a pdf
copy for the Web.

Chris

Dr Chris Glasby
Curator of Worms
Natural Sciences
Museum & Art Gallery of the Northern Territory
GPO Box 4646
Darwin NT 0801
AUSTRALIA

Email: chris.glasby at nt.gov.au