Polychaetes as hosts of parasites

Pat Hutchings path at austmus.gov.au
Mon Jan 28 20:47:50 EST 2002

Hi folks, I have had a request from a parasitologist from the Univeristy of
Queensland -- see below - and I was unable to help him -- wondering if any
of you out there have seen such infections

Tom Cribb wrote--

"My interest is in trematodes of marine fishes.  Almost without exception
trematodes use molluscs as first intermediate hosts; asexual stages
(sporocysts, rediae & cercariae occur in the haemocoel).  The exception is
the fish blood flukes (Sanguinicolidae) which may use polychaetes. At
present there are reports of sanguinicolids from ampharetids and (more
commonly) serpulids and terebellids.  I have a student studying
sanguinicolids for his PhD and we are keen to find infections in
polychaetes.  So the question is, do you ever see trematode infections in
the polychaetes that come your way, and do you have any thoughts on
prevalences and effective approaches to looking for infections.  We are
familiar with approaches to looking for infected molluscs but polychaetes
are rather foreign to us". --

Any responses to me as I am also interested in the outcome and then I will
forward then to Tom and he may then wish to communicate with you
directly. Cheers and thankyou  Pat

Dr Pat Hutchings
Principal Research Scientist
Marine Invertebrates
Australian Museum
6 College Street
Sydney 2010 Australia

PH:	61-2-9320 6243
FAX:	61-2-9320 6042
path at austmus.gov.au
Visit the Australian Museum on-line at http://www.austmus.gov.au
Just released the Catalogue of Australian Polychaetes- an update of Day
and Hutchings (1979). You can find it at
http://www.environment.gov.au/abrs/abif-fauna/volswww.htm.
Polychaete & Allies, Fauna of Australia Vol 4a- 2000-for sales see
sales at publish.csiro.au