European COBICE studies deadline reminder

Eibye-Jacobsen, Danny DEJacobsen at zmuc.ku.dk
Wed Oct 9 14:12:54 EST 2002

To all European anneliders,

I would like to draw your attention to the fact that the next application deadline
for COBICE is October 14. COBICE is the Copenhagen Biosystematics
Center, a member of CETAF, the Consortium of European Taxonomic
Facilities. The European Union has provided considerable funds to allow
researchers from member states and associated nations (basically all
European countries including Israel, but apparently not Russia or Turkey) to
visit and carry out research at, in this case, the Zoological Museum in
Copenhagen. In this particular round, the visit should be planned for the first
half of 2003.

An application should cite important resources at the Zoological Museum that
are necessary for the intended project (don't let the word project scare you,
just a title describing what you would like to do); in most cases our
collections are the obvious choice, but the availablitily of two scanning
electron microscopes may also be a factor. In general, practically all good
applications are accepted, and I'm quite certain that previous users of this
opportunity have been very pleased. If succesful, all practical matters are
taken care of (travel expenses, an apartment or hotel room, even a little
spending money).

The first step, if you are interested, is to read more about the program at
http://www.zmuc.dk/commonweb/COBICE.htm and at this site you will also
find an electronic application form which can be submitted by e-mail. The
application form is a bit irritating, in the typical European way, because you
have to answer essentially the same question (the purpose/expected
outcome of your visit) in about 10 different ways, but it's worth the bother.

A practical matter: if you wish to contact me personally about a possible
application, then you must do so by Friday the 11th, because I will be on
vacation next week.

 Looking forward to seeing some of you in Copenhagen,

  Danny

Danny Eibye-Jacobsen
Zoological Museum
Universitetsparken 15