Nereis (Neanthes) acuminata = Nereis (Neanthes) arenaceodonta....which is it?

Stan Bosarge Stan.Bosarge at TAI.STRAND.COM
Tue Oct 15 14:42:55 EST 2002

To anyone that can help,

I am trying to determine which is the correct name usage for the following
Nereid polychaete.

Nereis acuminata
Neanthes acuminata
Nereis arenaceodonta
Neanthes arenaceodonta

>From what I can find in the literature, they are all the same thing, but which is
the correct name.  I checked the ITIS database, and they are all valid names
with the exception of Nereis arenaceodonta which according to ITIS is
Neanthes arenaceodonta.  Can anyone help with this?

Thanks,
Stan Bosarge
Taxonomy Lab Manager
TAI/Strand Assoc.