Nereis (Neanthes) acuminata = Nereis (Neanthes) arenaceodonta....which is it?

Tom Parker tparker at lacsd.org
Tue Oct 15 16:46:21 EST 2002

Greetings Stan:

Though Neanthes acuminata has been reported from the west coast, during
creation of the SCAMIT Taxonomic List (4th edition), taxonomists in Southern
California decided that our west coast records of Neanthes acuminata were
not likely the same as the taxa described by Ehlers in 1868.  We listed the
name as "Neanthes acuminata CMPLX" to denote a possible species
complex.  It is my understanding (from discussion with Dr. Reish) that
specimens from several locations were analyzed more recently for
chromosome number.  Specimens previously identified as Neanthes
acuminata from California had a much different chromosome number than
specimens recorded as Neanthes acuminata from some east coast
samplings.  It is possible that the specimens you have considered as N.
acuminata are not "acuminata".

I recall that Day 1973 discussed dropping the useage of "arenaceodentata"
and that Weiberg (1990) discussed genetic isolation in Nereid taxa.

bye for now

Thomas Parker
Marine Biology Laboratory
CSDLAC