Nereis (Neanthes) acuminata = Nereis (Neanthes) arenaceodonta....which is it?

Jim Weinberg jweinber at whsun1.wh.whoi.edu
Thu Oct 17 13:54:45 EST 2002

Back in the 1980s, my lab studied the degree of pre- and postmating
isolation and differences in karyotype between geographical populations of
this "species". We looked at field populations from Connecticut,
Massachusetts, 2 sites in California, and Hawaii. Based on our results this is
a group of species, not one. There are major differences in chromosome
number and chromosome size between New England, California and Hawaii.
 You may want to take a look at:

Weinberg, J. R., V. R. Starczak, C. Mueller, G. Pesch and S. Lindsay. 1990.
Divergence between populations of a monogamous polychaete with male
parental care: Premating isolation and chromosome variation.  Marine
Biology 107: 205-213.

Weinberg J. R., V. R. Starczak, and D. Jorg.  1992. Evidence for rapid
speciation following a founder event in the laboratory.  Evolution 46: 1214-
1220.

I recently spoke to  Jorge Hardege (I believe he is at U. Hull, UK).  In his lab,
he is following up on my work by looking at the mechanism that causes the
worms to have different levels of aggression (which results in pre-mating
isolation in the laboratory between worms from different places).  He
indicated that he is collaborating with a geneticist; so there might be some
additional data on relatedness coming soon.

Jim Weinberg