Light perception in polychaetes?

Thomas Hesselberg enpth at bath.ac.uk
Mon Oct 28 13:55:39 EST 2002

Hi All.

I'm a newly started PhD student working on locomotion and biomechanics of
various species of nereids. I'm currently doing pilot experiments with
movement at different vertical inclinations. Do anyone in this list, know of
good methods to get the worms crawling/swimming? Either an incitement or
some kind of non-harmful "scare"... Furthermore, I want to simulate
darkness, but still be able to video-record their movements. Are there any
wavelengths not being perceived by polychaetes? Like for instance the red
light being invisible for spiders and some insects.

Thanks in advance,
Thomas

--
Thomas Hesselberg