Polychaete larval densities

Vasily Radashevsky radashevsky at mail.ru
Mon Dec 15 13:50:07 EST 2003

>I found Neanthes succinea larvae in a salt lake, the Salton Sea, California at
> densities of 10-30 per liter lake-wide.  Has anyone recorded higher densities
> of polychaete worm larvae elsewhere?
>
>Mary Ann Tiffany
>San Diego State University
>Dept. of Biology
>San Diego CA 92182

Orth (1971) studied planktonic larvae of Polydora ligni (=Polydora cornuta;
Spionidae) in the Chesapeake Bay estuarine system. He counted 85,000 larvae
per cubic meter, what makes 85 per liter!

Orth. R. J. 1971. Observations on the planktonic larvae of Polydora ligni
Webster (Polychaeta: Spionidae) in the York River, Virginia. Chesapeake
Science 12 (3):121-124.

Vasily Radashevsky