Poor old californiensis etc.

Kristian Fauchald Fauchald.Kristian at NMNH.SI.EDU
Fri Jan 31 16:16:43 EST 2003

I believe the point Jim Blake made is extremely important:
Geographically linked species names indicate where the original author
had (or thought he or she had) his specimens from.  Nothing more,
nothing less.  The most commonly used species name among for
polychaetes is "capensis" simply because absolutely everybody on their
way between the Atlantic and Indian Ocean stopped off their, got fresh
food and water, and did some collecting in the early years.  More
recently of course it has been a much more focused activity by the South
Africans.  Similarly, "patagonica" does not mean that a species in some
sense" originated" in Patagonia, other than the fact that early expeditions
to Antarctica often stopped over there.  In fact a number of species
called "antarctica" were collected in Patagonia by expeditions that went
no further south.

Jim is also quite correct that many of the widely distributed species have
been relatively poorly analyzed and that we need more information.  The
concept of a sibling species is linked to co-occurring species however.
If you have two taxa that are allopatric in distribution, but highly similar,
that is all they are.  The concept of sibling species was developed for
birds I believe and allow ornithologists to use even very minor differences
in plumage as valid characters, since they could demonstrate that these
differences were linked to consistent differences in biology.  We have
very little of the latter, and I would very much like to see careful,
consistent work on a combination of ecology, molecular systematics and
variability of morphological features.  That way we may get the
"independent" features we may need to justify the use of very minor
differences in morphology. Ah, what a pleasure it is to have an excuse to
ride a couple of favorite hobby-horses on a miserable Friday morning!

Kristian Fauchald

-- ANNELIDA
Discuss   = annelida at net.bio.net      = talk to all members
Server    = biosci-server at net.bio.net = un/subscribes