NE Atlantic aphroditidae & Nereidae ID expert please

Richard Lord fishinfo at guernsey.net
Thu May 1 15:12:19 EST 2003

I would appreciate help with the identification of a Nereid worm which I saw
swimming actively in a stream, which ran down a beach on April 19 during a
low spring tide.

I saw a dozen or more Nereids appear in the stream on the lower shore
during low water.  They issued a copious quantity of white fluid into the
stream which ran a short way down to the sea.  I collected one of the worms
and photographed it from various angles but do not have it anymore to
identify.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance in trying to narrow the identification
down from the 19 ragworms that reside in British waters.

I would also like to know if Alentia gelatinosa is the only member of its genus
in British waters.  I have photographed a species that may be this but would
appreciate confirmation from my photographs.

I would be happy to email JPEGs to anyone willing to assist in these
identifications.  Thank you.

Best Wishes,
Yours sincerely,

Richard