Report: loss of hemoglobin H2S-binding function in annelids

Geoff Read g.read at niwa.co.nz
Tue May 13 15:38:28 EST 2003

You saw it here first:

Bailly, X.; Leroy, R.; Carney, S.; Collin, O.; Zal, F.; Toulmond, A. ; Jollivet,
D. 2003: The loss of the hemoglobin H2S-binding function in annelids from
sulfide-free habitats reveals molecular adaptation driven by Darwinian positive
selection. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 100(10)[May
13, 2003]: 5885-5890.

ABSTRACT: The hemoglobin of the deep-sea hydrothermal vent
vestimentiferan Riftia pachyptila (annelid) is able to bind toxic hydrogen
sulfide (H2S) to free cysteine residues and to transport it to fuel
endosymbiotic sulfide-oxidising bacteria. The cysteine residues are
conserved key amino acids in annelid globins living in sulfide-rich
environments, but are absent in annelid globins from sulfide-free
environments. Synonymous and nonsynonymous substitution analysis from
two different sets of orthologous annelid globin genes from sulfide rich and
sulfide free environments have been performed to understand how the
sulfide-binding function of hemoglobin appeared and has been maintained
during the course of evolution. This study reveals that the sites occupied by
free-cysteine residues in annelids living in sulfide-rich environments and
occupied by other amino acids in annelids from sulfide-free environments,
have undergone positive selection in annelids from sulfide-free
environments. We assumed that the high reactivity of cysteine residues
became a disadvantage when H2S disappeared because free cysteines
without their natural ligand had the capacity to interact with other blood
components, disturb homeostasis, reduce fitness and thus could have been
counterselected. To our knowledge, we pointed out for the first time a case
of function loss driven by molecular adaptation rather than genetic drift. If
constraint relaxation (H2S disappearance) led to the loss of the sulfide-
binding function in modern annelids from sulfide-free environments, our work
suggests that adaptation to sulfide-rich environments is a plesiomorphic
feature, and thus that the annelid ancestor could have emerged in a sulfide-
rich environment.

--
  Geoff Read <g.read at niwa.co.nz>
  http://www.annelida.net/