Anaesthetising polychaetes?

Geoff Read g.read at niwa.co.nz
Thu May 22 16:02:41 EST 2003

> I was wondering if any of you have some suggestions as to what chemicals I
> could use to induce a shortterm anaesthetisation in polychaete worms (or more
> specifically in nereids).

I asked a similar question a couple of years ago - see the annelida archive
for November 2000, or search, starting from the interface at
http://www.bio.net/hypermail/annelida/ , under drugging, narcotising, and
similar.  Word stems work OK. The reference below was advocated, but for
quick, simple,  safe, and universal effectiveness Magnesium chloride soln
(7.5% w/v) is worth a try. It stops muscles but doesn't stop cilia movement.

Smaldon, G. ; Lee, E. W. 1979: A synopsis of methods for the narcotisation
of marine invertebrates. Information series / Royal Scottish Museum. Natural
History 6: 1-96.

Nereidids are very susceptible to isopropyl alcohol added drop by drop, if
recovery is not important.

  Geoff Read <g.read at niwa.co.nz>
  http://www.annelida.net/