Slide shows available

Kirk Fitzhugh kfitzhug at
Mon Oct 20 18:13:04 EST 2003

Dear Colleagues,

Geoff Read recently posted on this list a notice of some newly published
moleculoid papers dealing with polychaete phylogenetics. As with most such
publications, I'm always interested in the degree to which the "requirement of
total evidence" (RTE) is not followed.

For those of you who might find this topic of relevance to your research, or
as a matter of judging the scientific merits of phylogenetic hypotheses based
on select classes of data, I have posted at the URL listed below a slide show
which explains what the RTE means and why it cannot be ignored in phylogenetic

You will also find two additional slide shows on the page. One show presents
the philosophical basis of character coding, and the other addresses the
correct definition of homology, which is derived from some of my recent
research on the inferential basis of phylogenetics.

I would greatly appreciate comments/criticisms/suggestions, and hope these
shows will stimulate discussion among your colleagues as well.

J. Kirk Fitzhugh, Ph.D.
Associate Curator of Polychaetes
Invertebrate Zoology Section
Research & Collections Branch
Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History
900 Exposition Blvd
Los Angeles CA 90007

Phone:   213-763-3233
FAX:     213-746-2999