[Annelida] Letter of the president IPA

Guillermo San Martín guillermo.sanmartin at uam.es
Fri Dec 17 22:12:04 EST 2004

Dear colleagues and friends,

The International Polychaete Association (IPA) was created in 1986,after the
First International Polychaete Conference. Every Association has a
constitution; the original was developed by Dr Kirkegaard and was modified by
David George in July 1989 and Pat Hutchings (1992, Angers), and finally
approved at the 1998 Conference in Curitiba. The constitution of the IPA and
members of the Advisory Council of the years 1998-2001 are available in
Annelida web page (http://biocollections.org/pub/worms/ipa-intr.html). All
polychaetologists are strongly encouraged to consult it.

During the final meeting of the VIII IPC, in Madrid, July 2004, no changes to
the Constitution were proposed, a new President was elected and some new
members were invited onto the Advisory Council (AC).

However, two problems must be solved, to proceed correctly with the rules of
our constitution. In this letter, I am proposing some changes as president of
the IPA, which includes several suggestions made by numerous colleagues, to
whom I want to express my acknowledge for their interest.

One of the problems is the composition of the AC. There are countries without
representation and other countries with more than one; also, some members have
been in the AC from many years; our constitution (Article V, section 2) states
clearly that "the term of office of members will be six years, with half of
the membership elected each triennium". Also, the Advisory Council "shall
provide balanced representation among regions"; since the picture of the
polychaetologists on the world has substantially changed during the last
years, the composition of the AC should be modified.

The other is the Secretary-Treasurer.  This office is elected for a six year
term and must be renovated. I would like to acknowledge all the work that Andy
has undertaken during these six years. He has already sent to me his
resignation by e-mail.

Ruth Barnich, is kindly willing to take over the job. However, it is necessary
to know if anybody else is willing too. Please, contact me if there is any
other candidature or if you propose any other. The deadline for other
candidatures is the 31st January. After February 1st, I will contact all you
again to give the proposed names and ask for your vote.

Regarding the composition of the AC, it is more difficult to solve by e-mail.
However, this point must be in the agenda for discussion during the next
conference. I encourage to all the polychaetologists to think about proposals
for a balanced composition of the AC, in which all workers on polychaetes be
represented, according the rules of our constitution, as well as any other
change.

The AC will be also constituted by the President, Secretary/Treasurer, Past
President and Past Conference Host.

I also want to encourage for candidatures for the following International
Polychaete Conference. I have formally received none yet, and it would be
accurate to have several to be voted during the next one. I remind you that
there is a protocol for the selection of the conferences in our constitution,
which should be sent to me and presented and voted in the next conference. I
am looking for offers for the conference in 2010.

I want to wish to all you HAPPY CHRISTMAS, as well as a HAPPY YEAR 2005 plenty
of discoveries and success.

Wormly and metamerically
Guillermo San Martín