Marian Pettibone

Kevin E. Eckelbarger KevinE at maine.edu
Tue Jan 6 14:27:37 EST 2004

Dear Colleagues:

    I'd like to add to the Marian Pettibone memories I see flashing around the
planet. Marian was a member of my Ph.D. committee at Northeastern University
when I was a student of Pete "Doc" Riser (1969-73). Pete and Marian had been
friends for a long time and he suggested that she be on my committee even
though I was working on polychaete life histories (Nicolea zostericola) and
not taxonomy, per se. She would travel to Nahant for my committee meetings and
she invited me to work with her at the Smithsonian on two occasions. She
intimidated me at first - she struck me as a stern grandmother with a short
fuse - but over time I saw her warmth and humanity. When I worked with her at
the Smithsonian she would buy me lunch in the SI cafeteria where we'd discuss
polychaete biology endlessly.  She seemed quite determined to turn me into a
taxonomist but she failed miserably in the end. She had strong opinions about
everything and never hesitated to express them - including her opinions on the
quality of work of other polychaetologists!  Her bluntness could occasionally
be jarring. With Marian, you always knew how she felt about you because she
wouldn't hesitate to tell you to your face - a rare trait these days. She once
severely chastised another member of my graduate committee (a physiologist)
who suggested that some of what I was doing for my dissertation seemed
unimportant to him - for example, gathering basic life history information.
Marian lectured him about our need to understand the complete organism in
every aspect - its morphology, ecology, behavior AND physiology. As I recall
the physiologist remained silent for the remainder of the committee meeting.

     Marian was passionate about students taking their research and their
careers seriously. When I called her to announce that I had accepted a
position at Harbor Branch Oceanographic Inst. (Florida) in 1973 before I had
completed my dissertation, she gave me a stern lecture about what a horrible
decision I had just made!  She was convinced that I would take the job and
never finish my Ph.D. and she made it clear that she was very disappointed. As
I recall, Doc Riser and Trish Morse (another member of my committee) spoke to
Marian and assured her that I would follow through. To be honest, I was too
scared of Marian NOT to complete my dissertation so I did so a year later.

     In subsequent years we corresponded about my work and she always
encouraged me. Our correspondence ended over a decade ago but I will always
remember her intense passion for polychaetes.  She loved what she did and she
liked to inspire and encourage younger workers. Every time I write a new
paper, I remember her lectures about clarity. I am proud to say that Marian
left her stamp on me.

Best wishes from Maine - Kevin

Kevin J. Eckelbarger, Ph.D.Director, Darling Marine Center
The University of Maine
193 Clark's Cove Road
Walpole, Me. USA 04573
http://server.dmc.maine.edu