Clitellate cocoons

Dan Shain dshain at
Thu Jul 22 15:12:10 EST 2004

Dear Annelidians,

We have initiated a study on leech cocoons, currently focusing on their
protein components (Mason et al., 2004) and ultrastructure (Dimitriu and
Shain, 2004).  I am wondering if anyone has collected any clitellate cocoons
over the years, or who currently discards them while collecting specimens?
Please let me know if you are willing to part with a few of your cocoons!

Dan Shain

Mason TA, McIlroy PJ and Shain DH (2004) A cysteine-rich protein in the
Theromyzon (Annelida: Hirudinea) cocoon membrane. FEBS Lett. 561, 167-172.

Dimitriu C and Shain DH (2004) Ultrastructural properties of the Theromyzon
(Annelida: Hirudinea) cocoon membrane. Micron 35, 281-285.

Daniel H. Shain
Assistant Professor of Zoology
Biology Department
315 Penn Street