Nautiliniellidae DNA

JAMES A. BLAKE jablake at
Tue Jun 1 19:49:46 EST 2004

Fredrik and Ken,

This is indeed a tall order, but perhaps not impossible.

I suggest contacting some of the hydrothermal vent and seep biologists,
such as Rich Lutz at Rutgers, who work on the host clams and mussels. Many of
the mollusks are preserved in ethanol specifically for DNA analysis and I know
for a fact that some tissues are preserved in -80C and carried back in liquid
nitrogen. Of course, this does not get you any nautiliniellids, but at least
the hosts might be available to have someone search.

A caution. Owing to the specialized habitat and hosts, there are probably
numerous undescribed taxa in this "family."

ENSR Marine & Coastal Center
89 Water Street
Woods Hole, Massachusetts 02543 USA
(jablake at