Foster RE: Freshwater polychaeta

Harry A. ten Hove H.A.tenHove at uva.nl
Mon Sep 20 00:47:23 EST 2004

Dear all,

I have a couple of observations to make on Nancy Foster's Freshwater
polychaetes:

Fig.3 "Mercierella enigmatica": NO. Fig.3 a and b very evidently have been
taken from the tropical/subtropical fouling species Hydroides elegans
(Haswell, 1883), definitely not occurring in freshwater. Fig. 3c indeed
depicts Ficopomatus enigmaticus (Fauvel, 1923). I, however, would hardly
expect that species in freshwater, it is osmoconforming and as far as known to
me survives in water of 2 per mille, but reproduces up from 5 or 10; I even am
not sure if this latter record (which I should have to delve out, in my memory
it was one of Straughan's papers) indeed was recorded from a
temperate/subtropical site in Australia (than being F. enigmaticus), or from a
tropical locality in which case it more likely will have been F. uschakovi
(Pillai, 1960); Straughan mixed both species up.

The only real freshwater serpulid is Marifugia cavatica Absolon & Hrabe,
1930, recorded from the Karst caves in former Yougoslavia.

wormly

dr. Harry A. ten Hove
Zoological Museum,
University of Amsterdam