Interaction benthic invertebrates-macroalgal mats

Salvador Herrando salherra at ono.com
Thu Feb 10 14:04:16 EST 2005

Dear colleagues,

I am currently writting up the discussion of a paper on the effect of
macroalgal mats on spatial patterns of macrobenthos from the Ythan Estuary
(Scotland, UK).

A point I want tomake a comment onin my discussion is thatsomeecologically
keyspecies like Corophium volutator are depleted (at least seasonally) from
areas carpeted with macroalgae and this may have an effect on higher trophic
levels.

While I am gathering information on papers addressing the probing success by
wading birds in macroalgal mats, I would very much appreciate if you could
point me to some literature assessing interactions (particularly detrimental)
between macroalgal mats and any feature of thelife history of benthic
invertebrates. I have just a couple of relatively old referencies dealing with
Corophium but is not enough.

Once again, many thanks indeed for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

Salvador Herrando-Pérez
BSc. MPhil. Aquatic Biology

C/ Padre Jofre 19, piso 3, pta 7
12006 Castellón de la Plana
SPAIN
telephones +34 964 038845 (home) / +34 657787340 (cell)
E-mail: salherra at ono.com / salherra68 at yahoo.es