FW: [Annelida] Barbara's Notomastus

O'Reilly, Myles Myles.OReilly at Sepa.org.uk
Wed Jun 15 08:13:56 EST 2005

Barbara
I was fascinated by the odd looking gills on your Notomastus. Are they
present on all worms? I have never seen any gills on Notomastus from
Scottish waters but I have been studying parasitic copepods from polychaetes
for a number of years and think it is possible that these might be
protruding ovisacs from some sort of endoparasites. Aphanodomus terebellae
is not uncommon in terebellids but usually only onserved when the ovisacs
protrude from the host.  I have collected an undescribed species (probably a
new genus or family!) of endoparasitic copepod from Notomastus around UK
waters - but this species does not appear to extrude its ovisacs.  I cannot
discern actual eggs in the appendages in your photos and they should come in
pairs for copepods.  On the other hand there variable size, location and
orientation on the body does suggest to me that that they are not part of
the worms normal morphology.  Can't tell much more without a closer
examination or dissection of the peculiar appendages.
All for now.

Myles O'Reilly
Senior Marine Biologist
Scottish Environment Protection Agency