Regenerating Heads!

Harry A. ten Hove H.A.tenHove at uva.nl
Wed Mar 2 14:08:28 EST 2005

>Aloha All,
>
>I apologise in advance for my ignorance, but while processing some subtidal
>sand samples I wasn't surprised to see big Oweniid heads regenerating tails,
>but I was shocked to see tails regenerating heads!

Some of the serpulids use transverse fission of the body as quite normal
manner of reproduction, e.g. species of the genera Filograna and Salmacina. I
presume (but can't check, loaned my last copy to a student) we said something
about it in : Kupriyanova, E.K. & E. Nishi & H.A. ten Hove & A.V. Rzhavsky,
2001.- Life-history patterns in serpulimorph polychaetes: ecological and
evolutionary perspectives. Oceanogr. Mar. Biol. Ann. Rev. 39: 1-101, 14 figs,
2
tabs.

At least we will give references where to find details.

dr. Harry A. ten Hove
Zoological Museum,
University of Amsterdam
POB 94766, 1090 GT AMSTERDAM

TEL. +3120 5256906
FAX. +3120 5255402

H.A.tenHove at uva.nl
hove at science.uva.nl

* **** Always wanted to visit the ZMA for a bit of research, but you never had
the funds?

Now you have a chance if you apply for a grant from SYNTHESYS, funded by
the European Commission.
If you are a resident of an EU country or an EU aspirant member state, look at
the link on the ZMA homepage, or visit the website: http://www.synthesys.info/

The museum is distributed over several buildings, all close to Artis Zoo.
http://www.science.uva.nl/ZMA/