Losing your head

B Paavo paavo at wormguy.com
Wed Mar 2 17:11:38 EST 2005

Is it

"It's OK to lose your head in a crowd, but not when you're alone."

or

"Hold on to your backsides, the predators are coming!"

Wow!  Thanks for all the observations. Maldanids, Spionids, Onuphids,
Oweniids, etc.  Seems like most of the scissiparous (I'm looking forward to
using that word in polite conversation sometime in the next year) critters
either live in dense mats, tubicolous, burrowers, or otherwise tend to protect
their backsides while exposing their heads to potential cropping by crabs,
fish, etc.  Is this misleading because it's a popular lifestyle or do the
families that tend to be wholly exposed (ie eaten completely) really lack the
ability?  I had a large eunicid (something like Eunice tentaculata) in a
mesocosm that lived over four months with no head.  It made a reasonable nest
and the anterior portion healed very nicely, but no regeneration.  Any
scissiparous glycerids? Nereidids? Scaleworms? Nephtyids? Etc.?

Cheers,
Brian