Marine Ecology dedicated issue on annelida (Kristian's tribute)

Maria Cristina Gambi gambimc at szn.it
Tue Mar 8 19:27:38 EST 2005

Dear annelida-forum list members,

This message is to inform you that the Stazione Zoologica of Naples is
restructuring its international journal Marine Ecology (formerly PSZN: Marine
Ecology). The Journal’s revised aims and scope now include a new main focus on
an evolutionary perspective, elucidating the links between ecology and
evolution of marine organisms from genes to the ecosystem. Maria Cristina
Gambi from the Naples's Station and Lisa Levin from Scripps (La Jolla, CA)
head up the renewed editorial team. Soon the Journal will introduce an online
editorial office that will allow for online submission and reviewing. For more
information, please visit the Journal website:
www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0173-9565

In connection with the Journal’s revitalisation, we, the Editors, would like
to launch a proposal to all list members. As you are probably aware, a debate
was recently carried out in the annelida forum about launching a journal
dedicated to polychaetes. In the end, the discussion remained inconclusive,
which comes as no surprise since we all know that it is always difficult to
put efforts, energy, and ideas into such an ambitious project! In this
respect, we would like to suggest the journal Marine Ecology as a venue for
publishing one annual issue concentrating solely on polychaete research. The
papers in this issue should cover research topics that conform to the Aims and
Scope of the Journal.

We would like to start this initiative by launching a special issue on
“Advances in Polychaete Research” dedicated to our “deus ex machina” Kristian
Fauchald who will celebrate his 70th birthday this year! We welcome
contributions from everyone who is willing to publish a paper in tribute to
Kristian and his career. We would especially appreciate contributions from
colleagues who have worked or trained with him and particularly on topics
within the realm in his scientific interests, such as biology and ecology of
Eunicida, reproductive biology and evolutionary aspects. However, any
proposal on annelids will be considered and evaluated. The special issue will
benefit from the collaboration of Greg Rouse (Adelaide, Australia) as a Guest
Editor.

For planning purposes, we would appreciate receiving e-mails from those
interested in contributing with their proposed titles. This will enable the
Editors and the Guest Editor to assess and co-ordinate their tasks. Please
send in your suggested titles by March 31 2005 to Greg Rouse
(rouse.greg at saugov.sa.gov.au), and forward your message also to Maria Cristina
Gambi (gambimc at szn.it) and Lisa Levin (llevin at ucsd.edu). Depending on the
papers by the middle of April.

Please indicate in the subject: MAE annelida special issue.

All papers, except for purely ecological ones, should then be submitted to
Greg Rouse (rouse.greg at saugov.sa.gov.au; South Australian Museum, North
Terrace, Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia). Purely ecological papers may also be
sent to Maria Cristina Gambi and Lisa Levin. Submission must be completed by
May 31, 2005, preferably by electronic mail (word files). Late submissions
will be returned, owing to extremely tight deadlines. Paper should be
organised as: introduction, material and methods, results, discussion and
conclusion, references, figures and tables. Manuscripts should not exceed 15
A4 pages (tables and figures excluded), 1.5 line spacing, Times New Roman size
12 character. Detailed instructions on format will be sent at a later date for
the invited contributors. All articles will be peer reviewed, and we aim to
publish the issue this year. We look forward to your response to this
initiative, as well as to future ones.

Please circulate this message to other scientists working on polychaetes who
might be interested in participating in this special issue. For any additional
information, do not hesitate to contact one of us.
Thank for your attention and collaboration.

On the behalf of the Editorial Board of Marine Ecology,
Maria Cristina Gambi and Lisa Levin

Maria Cristina Gambi
Laboratorio di Ecologia del Benthos
(Stazione Zoologica "Anton Dohrn" di Napoli)
Punta S. Pietro
80077 Ischia (Napoli, Italy)
tel ++39 081 991410 or ++39 081 5833513
fax ++39 081 984201