Arsenicum bioacumulation

Petersen, Mary Elizabeth MEPetersen at snm.ku.dk
Mon Mar 14 14:35:43 EST 2005

Hi Salva,

There are some polychaetes that actively accumulate arsenic, among them the
cirratulid Aphelochaeta marioni (in older papers as Tharyx marioni):

Gibbs, PE, Langston, WJ, Burt, GR, Pascoe, PL. 1983. Tharyx marioni
(Polychaeta): a remarkable accumulator of arsenic. Journal of the Marine
Biological Association of the United Kingdom 63 (): 313-325.

Search "Ward and Fauchald 1997" (use google if you don't have it bookmarked)
for Gibbs to get a list of about 20 of his papers, many of which deal with
accumulations of heavy metals. Even though arsenic is mentioned in the title,
it did not come up when I searched on Gibbs in the title field and arsenic
under Notes!

If you leave the author field blank and put the metal you want to check for in
the title field, if it is named, the reference should come up. I just tried
for arsenic (not arsenicum) and the above title plus 3 more references were
found! Try you way through the items you are interested in.

Good luck!

Mary

Mepetersen at snm.ku.dk