Ctenodrillidae identification

Matthew R. Lee leemr at btopenworld.com
Mon Mar 21 15:53:43 EST 2005

Dear All,

I'm doing some work at the Blue Planet Aquarium in Cheshire, UK  For the past
few days I've been doing a very general survey of the meiofauna that is to be
found in the various exhibits.  Today I came across a small ctenodrillid worm
in the mangrove exhibit.  Superficially it looks as though it maybe of the
genera Afropharynx.  I was able to observe the animal alive and watched it
"grazing" on the biofilm of sand particles.  The body surface was covered with
small red spots, does this sound right?  I've only seen one other ctenodrillid
before in the flesh so to speak.  I've infused the wetmount with formalin
today and will hopefully be able to mount the specimen properly sometime this
week and get a more accurate description.

Thanks Matt

Dr.Matthew R. Lee 11 Briar Drive, Heswall, Wirral, Merseyside.
CH60 5RW United Kingdom
leemr at btopenworld.com