[Annelida] freshwater polychaetes

Chris.Glasby at nt.gov.au Chris.Glasby at nt.gov.au
Sun Nov 13 22:35:38 EST 2005

Hi Harry (and others)

Nice to see that your email gremlins are fixed now! And thanks for the
information on Ficopomatus enigmaticus.

If no one has information to the contrary I will omit F. enigmaticus from the
list of freshwater species. I believe Foster may have also mentioned F.
miamiensis (Treadwell, 1934) - I haven't seen this reference yet - because both
species are subsequently mentioned not only in Klemm (1985), but also Davies
(1991) and Smith (2001) as the only freshwater Serpulidae in North America

Harry - or anyone else? - is there any evidence (published or pers. obs.) for
the occurrence of F. miamiensis in fresh water, which is taken to be less than
0.5 parts per thousand (i.e. drinkable) for this review.

Cheers,
Chris

Davies, R. W., 1991. Annelida: leeches, polychaetes, and acanthobdellids. In
Thorp, J.H. & Covich, A.P. (Eds). Ecology and classification of North American
freshwater invertebrates. Academic Press, Inc., San Diego, New York, etc Pp.
437-479.
Smith, D. G., 2001. Chapter 13. Annelida (Polychaetes, Aeolosomatidae, aquatic
oligochaetes, Branchiobdellidae, leeches). In: Pennak's Freshwater Invertebrates
of the United States: Porifera to Crustacea. New York, John Wiley. Pp 269-325.

Dr Chris Glasby
Curator (Polychaeta) and Editor (The Beagle)
Natural Sciences
Museum & Art Gallery of the Northern Territory
GPO Box 4646
Darwin NT 0801
AUSTRALIA

Email: chris.glasby at nt.gov.au
Ph: +61-8-8999 8108
Fax: +61-8-8999 8289
http://www.magnt.nt.gov.au
>=]=]=]=]=]=]=]=]=]=]=]=]=]=]=]=]=]=]=]=):>=

             "Harry A. ten Hove"
             <hove at science.uva.n
             l>                                                              To
             Sent by:                    annelida at magpie.bio.indiana.edu
             annelida-bounces at oa                                             cc
             t.bio.indiana.edu
                                                                        Subject
                                         Re: [Annelida] freshwater polychaetes
             10/11/05 09:02 PM

>Dear Anneliders,
>
>I have been asked to pull together a short chapter on freshwater polychaetes

Dear Annelidologists especially Chris,

In two papers, one repeating the other, Ficopomatus enigmaticus (under it's
old name Mercierella enigmatica) is figuring as a freshwater species. To my
knowledge that is not true, although it maybe can survive for a while.
Normally it occurs in brackish environments, the minimum I have been able
to find is 18 gr of NaCl per liter.

Chris and I discussed this when he was in Amsterdam, so he probably will
leave the taxon out in his paper. However, in view of the wide use of these
papers, it may be wise to make some comment on this fact.

Moreover, and that is the main reason that I am posting this to Annelida
discussion group, I want to put out a warning to all users that the figures
given in both papers are not belonging to a single species, not even to a
single genus.

Foster's fig.3 c, reproduced as fig. 4.10.a, d in Klemm depict the
operculum of Ficopomatus enigmaticus. However, the other two figures (3a,b
in Foster, 4.10.b,c in Klemm) show a frontal and lateral view of the
ubiquitous fouling species Hydroides elegans.

Foster, N., 1972.- Freshwater Polychaetes (Annelida) of North America.
Biota of Freshw. Ecosystems, Ident. Manual 4, viii + 15 pp., 5 figs.
Klemm, D.J. (ed.), 1985.- A guide to the freshwater Annelida (Polychaeta,
Naidid and Tubificid Oligochaeta, and Hirudinea) of North America.
Kendall/Hunt, Iowa, 1985 [Polychaeta p. 10-23, 11 figs.]

wormly,

dr. Harry A. ten Hove
Zoological Museum,
University of Amsterdam