[Annelida] seta vs chaeta

nechama ben-eliahu nbenelia at cc.huji.ac.il
Sun Apr 23 06:16:43 EST 2006

I distincly remember a discussion on this subject
at the 1st poly conf and was not at the meeting in Brest.

so this time, I permit myself to disagree with Jim Blake although, like
Mary I suspect both forms will be used--after all "seta" appears in Day,
1967 . Nonetheless it is possible to introduce uniromity.

all the best,

Nechama

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006,
Sergio Salazar wrote:

> Dear Nechama, Colin, Dieter and Rafa,
>
> Thanks a lot for your comments. I tried to explain the different etymological
> origins for the words but it seems that I failed in doing so. Sorry.
>
> Nechama has kindly indicated that there was an agreement during the 1st
> Polychaete Conference about the use of chaeta vs seta (and derivatives). I
> did not know that and such agreement must rule. I will use chaeta (and
> derivatives) from now on. No problem.
>
> Apologies for stealing your time in this issues. Un abrazo,
>
> Sergio
>

>> From: dfiege <Dieter.Fiege at senckenberg.de>
>> To: annelida at magpie.bio.indiana.edu
>> Subject: [Annelida] seta vs chaeta
>> Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 11:37:27 +0200
>>
>> Dear Sergio,
>>
>> as you imply in your mail to annelida the term chaeta (and derivatives) as
>> used in 'polychaete language' is derived from the taxon name Polychaeta
>> and thus has become a technical term with a meaning different from that
>> mentioned in standard dictionaries. For this reason I personally prefer
>> chaeta over seta (and derivatives). Moreover, the latter term should in my
>> opinion be avoided in polychaetology since it is used in other taxa
>> languages as well (e.g. by colleagues describing various kinds of
>> arthropods) with a possible different technical meaning. Distinction among
>> various kinds of chaetae in polychaetology - not only long and soft versus
>> short and rigid as we all know - is done by providing a detailed
>> description of shape, size, etc.
>>
>> Metamerically,
>>
>> Dieter
>>
>> --
>> Dr. Dieter Fiege
>> Curator Marine Invertebrates
>> Forschungsinstitut Senckenberg
>> Senckenberganlage 25
>> D-60325 Frankfurt/Main
>> ph: +49-(0)69-7542 265
>> Fax: +49-(0)69-746238
>> www.senckenberg.de

Dr. M. Nechama Ben-Eliahu, Curator Emeritus,
Acting Collections Manager
Section of Invertebrates,
The Hebrew University Biological Collections
The Department of Evolution, Systematics and Ecology
91904 Jerusalem, Israel