[Annelida] tube building polychaete identification

Mary E. Petersen mepetersen at maine.edu
Fri Jul 7 12:51:01 EST 2006

As far as I know, Pectinaria gouldii is an eastern North American species
and not (yet) present in European waters. The tube you photographed is not
complete, which makes it a bit difficult to identify without the worm,
although a person routinely identifying European species could probably do

Strangely enough, none of the faunas treating European pectinariids show the
tubes (e.g., Hartmann-Schroeder 1996 (or 1971) Tierwelt Deutschland 58;
Hayward & Ryland 1996: Handbook of the Marine Fauna of North-West Europe;
Holthe 1986: MIOS vol. 7 on Polychaeta Terebellomorpha; Kirkegaard 1996:
Danmarks Fauna vol. 86 [sedentary polychaetes}; or Wollebaek 1912:
Nordeuropaeiske Annulata Polychaeta. I. Ammocharidae, Amphictenidae
photos, but none of pectinariid tubes, or at most a fragment of one].

Jean Vovelle has done some work on Pectinaria koreni. For a photo with tubes
of all four common northern European species, see Vovelle 1971; for photos
of details of tubes (and juveniles) of P. koreni, see Vovell 1973.

Vovelle, J. 1971. Sélection des grains du tube chez les Amphictenidae
(polychètes sédentaires). Cah. Biol. Mar. 12: 365-380. [see plate 1 (p.

Vovelle, J. 1973. Evolution de la taille des grains du tube arénacé en
function de la croissance ches Pectinaria (Lagis) koreni Malmgren (polychète
sédentaire). Ophelia 10 (2): 169-184 (for photos of VERY small tubes see p.
179 – the scale bars are all = 200 µm).

Without the narrow end of the tube it is difficult to decide how much it is
curved. My guess is that you either have P. koreni or maybe P. auricoma.

For maldanids, Arwidsson 1912: [Scandinavian maldanids] has good photos of
the worms and detailed drawings of the chaetae, but no figures of the tubes.

Dr. Mary E. Petersen
Scholar in Residence, Polychaeta
Darling Marine Center, University of Maine
193 Clark's Cove Road
Walpole, ME 04573-3307, USA

E-mail: mepetersen at maine.edu
Tel. DMC: +1-207-563-3146 x 222