[Annelida] Polychaete identification guides for NSW

Matthew Nolan matthew.nolan at qm.qld.gov.au
Wed Oct 4 22:04:23 EST 2006

Hello

My name is Matt Nolan and I have just taken up a position with Dr Rob
Adlard of the Queensland Museum.  We are planning a two week field trip
to the Hawkesbury River in NSW (Australia) to sample macrobenthic fauna,
in particular polychaetes,  in an effort to elucidate the life-cycle of
the aetiological agent of QX disease, Marteilia sydneyi, which causes
mortality in the Sydney rock oyster (Saccostrea glomerata).

I am a novice when it comes to polychaete identification and have spent
time searching the web for suitable literature that will make polychaete
identification somewhat easier (hopefully).  I have found the following
references that appear very relevant, among others:

1.        Beesley, P.L., Ross, G.J.B., and Glasby, C.J.,(eds)
Polychaetes & Allies: The Southern Synthesis. Fauna of Australia. Vol.
4A Polychaeta, Myzostomida, Pogonophora, Echiura, Sipuncula. CSIRO
Publishing: Melbourne xii 465 pp

2.        Day, J.H., 1967. A monograph on the Polychaeta of southern
Africa.  Eyre and Spottiswoode Ltd: Portsmouth

3.        Day, J.H., and Hutchings, P.A., 1979. An Annotated Checklist
of Australian and New Zealand Polychaeta and Myzostomidae. Records of
the Australian Museum 32: 80-161

4.        Hutchings, P. (1984). An Illustrated Guide to the Estuarine
Polychaete Worms of New South Wales. Coast and Wetlands Society, Sydney
South. 160pp, illustrations

5.        Hutchings, P.A., and Rainer, S.F., 1979. A key to the
estuarine polychaetes of N.S.W. Proceedings of the Linnean Society of
N.S.W. 104: 35-48

6.        Hutchings, P.A., and Murray, A., 1984. A taxonomic account of
the Polychaetes from the Hawkesbury River and some other estuarine areas
in central and southern New South Wales, Australia. Australian Museum
Supplement 3: 1-118.

I am hoping that if there are other very relevant works I have missed
someone might be kind enough to point these out.

I take this opportunity to thank you for your time and your tolerance of
this email.

Sincerely,

Matt

________________________________