[Annelida] Job: Museum Scientist,
Scripps Institution of Oceanography
(by grouse from ucsd.edu)
Thu Oct 19 14:40:40 EST 2006
41101 MUSEUM SCIENTIST (100% Career)
Filing Deadline: 11/01/2006
Payroll Title: Asst Museum Scientist. Full Salary Range: $2,773 -
Payroll Title: Museum Scientist. Full Salary Range: $3,045 - $4,900/month.
*** Level of the position will be based on candidate's experience and
DESCRIPTION: Under supervision, perform curatorial, preparatory, and
clerical activities of the SIO Benthic Marine Invertebrates research
collection. Maintain best practice for specimen curation, storage, and
mailing as well as data handling, and data sharing. Develop and maintain the
Benthic Invertebrates website, including the online database and image
library. Track institutional loans, including those for teaching purposes.
Ensure proper permits and documentation are current for field collection and
museum exchange of specimens. Assist the curator in identifying, and
applying for, available extramural funding. Train volunteers in the use of
the collection. Assist curators, faculty, scholars, and students in
obtaining and identifying specimens for the research projects. Support
institutional fund-raising efforts by providing tours and information
regarding the collection. Host meetings and present talks to school and
special interest groups on research and collection activities. Organize
displays presenting collection material and research activities. Under
supervision, research and publishing on invertebrate group/s of interest is
* Experience in invertebrate diversity, systematics, scientific nomenclature
and invertebrate literature.
* Prior experience with preservation techniques for large and small
* Experience with museum/collections operations and procedures.
* Experience in studying and identifying invertebrate materials.
* Experience with website creation and maintenance, particularly those
components which encompass a digital image library and an online database.
* Experience with field collection of benthic marine invertebrates.
* Graduate degree involving systematics and/or taxonomy or an equivalent
combination of education and experience.
* Must be able to work around alcohol and other preservatives.
* Must be able to go to sea/remote location for collection purposes.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: Possess or be able to acquire a SCUBA
For application details follow this link:
Note the job closing date is November 1, but this will be extended to
For further information you may contact
Scripps Institution of Oceanography 0202
University of California, San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, CA 92093-0202
e-mail: grouse from ucsd.edu
Phone:+1 858 534 7973
Fax: +1 858 534-7313
More information about the Annelida