[Annelida] rag worms or nereis diversicolor question

Alastair Grant via annelida%40net.bio.net (by A.Grant At uea.ac.uk)
Mon Jan 15 06:20:39 EST 2007

Nereis diversicolor is very tolerant of environmental conditions.  They will
live quite happily at salinities varying from full strength sea water down
to tap water, although they can't breed successfully at low salinities.
They will even survive for a while in crystallising brine!  You can feed
them on aquarium fish food, trout pellets or even just rabbit food.

I've found breeding them arteficially (in the sense of crossing a single
male with a single female) to be very difficult - if anyone has any
techniques that achieve this easily, I'd be very interested in knowing.

However, if you collect individuals from the field when they are nearly
ready to breed, and put 30 or so into a tank with a layer of sand, an
airstone and 50% strength seawater, they will normally produce large numbers
of offspring within a few weeks.  You can see the tiny tubes made by the
juveniles where they are up against the glass just below the surface of the
sand.

Alastair
Alastair Grant

Director, Centre for Ecology, Evolution and Conservation (CEEC),
School of Environmental Sciences,
University of East Anglia, Norwich, NR4 7TJ, UK

Phone 01603 592 537  Fax 01603 591327
 Mobile/Voicemail 07941579036

Home page:                    <http://www.uea.ac.uk/~e130>
http://www.uea.ac.uk/~e130
CEEC web page:            <http://www.uea.ac.uk/ceec>
http://www.uea.ac.uk/ceec
MSc programme in Applied Ecology and Conservation:
<http://www.uea.ac.uk/bio/AEC/index.html>
http://www.uea.ac.uk/bio/AEC/index.html