[Annelida] [Fwd: Spionidae versus Spiodea]

Geoff Read via annelida%40net.bio.net (by g.read At niwa.co.nz)
Wed Jan 17 22:08:36 EST 2007

Posting on behalf of Vasily Radashevsky.
Please note I only want to do this when a list member has had mail
bounced back by the mail server at net.bio.net (this an unfortunate side
effect of their anti-spamming blacklist filters and is happening a step
or two before the mail even reaches the list software at Annelida
list!). Please try your alternative e-mail addresses first if it ever
happens to you. Thanks, Moderator. Now back to Vasily.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Spionidae versus Spiodea
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 02:56:00 +1000
From: radashevsky <radashevsky At mail.ru>
To: <g.read At niwa.co.nz>

     Dear Geoff,
     Would you please put in Annelida the following message?
     Thanks,
     Vasily

             Dear all,

             I wonder why do we use the name Spionidae (introduced by
Sars, 1861) in combination with Grube, 1850 (who actually introduced the
name Spiodea)? Spiodea Grube, 1850 and Spionidae Sars, 1861 were equally
used until about 1915 (McIntosh 1915 cited them both without priority).
The latter name and the author were in use until 1959, when Olga Hartman
(in the Catalog of the Polychaeta) created a combination Spionidae
Grube, 1850 that is used till now.

             The problem is that Spiodea was established by Grube, 1850
on the generic name Spio Fabricius, 1785; whereas Spionidae was based by
Sars, 1861 on Spione Orsted, 1844. The type (and the only) species of
Spione, S. trioculata, was marked by Hartman (1959: 391) as
indeterminable and the genus itself was doubtfully placed within Spionidae.

             The question is What is the nominal genus for Spionidae and
whether we use correct combination of the name and the author?
             I'm curious for solution (which might be very simple)!

             Vasily Radashevsky

-------- Original Message ends --------