[Annelida] List housekeeping

Geoff Read via annelida%40net.bio.net (by g.read At niwa.co.nz)
Thu Jan 25 20:41:01 EST 2007

Hi all,

Not sure this is really necessary, but for your information (save this
email - one day it might help). If you read nothing else note that it is
now possible to send attached files of modest size to the list members.

Usually there will be no problems at all for you with using Annelida
list. Remember though that it is moderated to keep out spam, so there is
a slight time lag in transmission. Your posting may appear within the
hour, or not for several hours.

Attachments:
We've moved with the times. Just to let you know I've stepped up the
permissible size of attachments to 1 Megabyte. This should be ample for
files of indicative images (for 'what's this?' enquiries) and for Adobe
PDFs of many manuscripts. I can temporarily make it bigger on request,
but very big files should be distributed by indicating your own URLs
from where the file can be downloaded.

Problems reaching the list address <annelida At net.bio.net>:
If you get a delivery-failed note from your own mailserver one
possibility is that your server is temporarily on the anti-spam
blacklist at the IUBIO server which hosts our list. Do not give up!
Don't panic! Read the error message carefully. Report blacklisting to
your local helpdesk technicians. Try using another of your email
addresses such as hotmail. If they also don't work then you can tell me
about your problem. I can usually help.

Mail from the annelida list software:
Once your posting actually reaches the list software itself and is
moderated the automatic replies from the software will be
self-explanatory (acknowledging your posting or telling you of some
problem with it). These will come from an address with annelida in the
name (like annelida-bounces At oat.bio.indiana.edu). If your posting does
not appear on the list two days or more after you have sent it, and you
get no other message about it then something has probably gone wrong.
Although mail does occasionally get delayed for days (it happened to a
couple of postings last week) send your message again (I'll stop the
original if it does turn up later)

Obsolete email addresses:
When your email changes at your organisation the old address may be
forwarding to your new address for some time before ceasing to work. If
the list software gets a certain number of failures from your old
address, then your subscription is suspended indefinitely. No more
Annelida messages come to you. Unfortunately I can't contact you and
tell you about it - unless I happen to know your new address. You can
check the address you are currently subscribed under at: