[Annelida] EOL

David Patterson via annelida%40net.bio.net (by dpatterson from mbl.edu)
Sun May 13 14:34:42 EST 2007

I have been very pleased to see the interest in the EOL
project, and the desire for a grass roots group.

The role of EOL is to work with partners and to collect
together information that is located across the internet,
and present it through a very flexible common portal.  The
flexibility is to ensure that the EOL can be adapted to
meet the needs of very different categories of users.  EOL
is intended to be a communal environment, and needs input
from experts.  Experts can help manage the taxonomic
indexing system that we will provide to ensure that it is
complete, that synonymies and mis-spellings are correctly
represented, and to maintain one or more classifications.
 Experts can contribute content (we will be able to
provide software to help individuals establish easy to
assemble web sites or offer a central web site where it
will be possible to add images and other content,
descriptions, glossary terms and so on); and experts can
help to review incoming content.  We will be building a
workbench, a virtual collection of tools to help peope
gain access to the information in the 1,500,000 books that
will be digitized through the Biodiversity heritage
Library, or to flag, link, annotate, analyse or visualise
biodiversity data.  The WorkBench will also allow possible
contributors to register their web-available content for
use by EOL.  We will be building some of the tools, but as
a compilation of modular open-source software, we will
welcome participation of others.

The teams will be assembled in the second part of this
year.  We would be pleased to address any queries.

David Patterson

David J Patterson
Encyclopedia of Life
Marine Biological Laboratory