[Annelida] Copyright question

Michael Boyle via annelida%40net.bio.net (by boylem from hawaii.edu)
Thu Oct 25 17:45:25 EST 2007

Dear Annelida folks,

Would someone please help me with a question on copyright law: Can I
present a scanned diagram or sketch, in a current publication, that
was published in a manuscript in the 1800's, or nearly 100 years
ago?  (e.g. Eisig 1898, Wilson 1892, Child 1900).  The author would
certainly be acknowledged.  Or is it preferred that someone redraw
the original schematic/sketch and label it as, "adapted from" .......
(author's name, year of publication).

Michael

Michael J Boyle
Department of Zoology